We were asked to choose a movie, book, or a song/album to deconstruct a concept that we get from this source.
COLLAGE ! yes now we actually started collaging our signs to form an actual poster !
so i started playing around with the images and came with two drafts of what i want my poster to look like
and thanks to our critique session Faheem (one of my classmates) helped me realize that i was heading towards “pattern making” with one of my designs instead of creating a poster!
as for my second design , Sara AlAfifi pointed out that i have found an interesting background for my actual poster! (YAY)
now i didn’t really pay much attention during the briefing of the first task ! ^_^”
but we actually had to choose 5 keywords ” to identify our objects within the narrative.”
the keywords that i believe identified my project were:
Now a huge part of this project was to understand the major 4 categories in which the audience will view the final product of this project>>the Poster.
the categories are:
ME , YOU , US , THEM
the problem is I missed two classes where the students did a certain activity to figure out how the object is preserved from other people’s perspective!
in order for me to somehow catch up with the information i need to gather, i used snapchat to get different people’s perspective regarding my object ^_^’
and i got a quick respond from some friends , which was enough for me to see and identify which falls under YOU US and THEM.
the following Task is to start experimenting with materials where we can show the meaning of our words through << i know confusing! :S
to be honest, i started experimenting with new materials , wax , play-doh , i even thought of going deep with some of the words and their meanings << and that’s when i felt lost ! and that time of the semester i was already losing focus on my studies getting mixed up with social life!
so BACK ON TRACK BACK ON TRACK !!!! << PANIC MOOD ON!
so i decided to go back to previous projects i’ve done the past year and find my words in them instead . and from there try and categories these objects/scans/photos under the three types of signs!
ICON, SYMBOL, and INDEX ,
ENTER Ebi in Freshman year work!
the Note Book : Index : HIDE
Mask Illustrations: ICON : MASK
The Stamp: Index : Hide
Baby eyes: Symbol/Index : True Self
Collage work : Index : ART
KRINK Paint: index : Festival
Baby image of Ebi : Index/Symbol : True Self
Image of the mask : Index : MASK
without any details on where the project is heading towards, we were introduced on the first week to a bunch of objects that professor Leland brought with him.
in order for us to understand the first task! which is choosing an object that has a significant meaning/importance to us! the first step is bringing this object and write a 150-200 words describing this object and why is it important? now Law and Leland made sure that we are capable of describing the object with strong vocabulary , and words that can transfer the feelings we have towards this object!
- It’s something that I’ve always wanted to have, the first time I saw a venetian mask was on a movie called the “Entrapment”.
- The mask was my 21st birthday gift from my older sister, it also was the last object I received before having a life tormenting incident.
- The incident had me get grounded (locked in a room) for 8 months. For the entire time I was locked in the room i would be staring at the objects in my room the mask was placed on my table across the bed so it was the most item I looked at while thinking of the incident, of life decisions, even when I was trying to escape reality id be staring at the mask.
- Reading novels was a recovery method I used at that time. At some days I’d put the mask on while reading certain novels, to isolate myself from all the negativity I was surrounded by.
- Even though this mask was introduced to me during a very hard depressing and even mentally damaged phase, yet somehow I felt like the mask had an empowering effect.
- I’ve always been fascinated by comic books and superheroes; Batman is one of my favorite DC comics superheroes. I started relating my relationship to the mask like Bruce Wayne’s relationship to bats in general, how he made the thing he fears the most his armor. For me the mask that was associated to the worst period of my life became my empowering armor facing the world after reaching my weakest state physically, emotionally, and mentally.
- For me whenever I picture myself as a superhero or close my eyes to see the strong side of me this mask would be on me, part of my costume, and part of my armor.