even though it was a very short (time wise) kind of project but i think i learned more from it in terms of ‘design’.
- figuring out the right size for the paragraph in relation to the size of the poster and make sure it is visible but not (too big like kids book).
- finding the right place for the Letter (Logo). and making sure it’s not a boring or cheesy place.
- working with colors for the text that would suit the poster and at the same time would show the text.
- finding the right type face for the paragraph and the sentence in relationship to the the type face of the WORD.
- making sure that my paragraph doesn’t lose it’s meaning (by cutting it to parts) and the parts should fit in the possible positions i found based on the alignment!
- having a design/system/method that works with the backyard and the new elements i’m placing!
- not any empty space is always the right place to put text on.
- even though it was my struggle, i learned how to work with color of the text and the backyard (poster).
- Text are objects!
- being able to place a logo (that makes no sense) on an organic poster!
what i would do better:-
- I would try more with different compositions, and print them on A1 sized paper (to make it easier to see the text size).
- I would print earlier (to get the glossy paper before its finished) using glossy paper instead of matt would’ve worked better with my poster colors.
- I would edit my first WORD poster more to fix the focus of the image before working on the placement of (LOGO , Paragraph , Sentence).
the final task is to putt all of the previous projects together creating the final poster!
the main struggles were how to find the invisible lines that we created on a blank sheet of A3-A4 paper.
it is harder now since i have a “backyard” with its own lines, colors , spaces…etc.
first try :-
I used the empty gaps that i had on my poster the white blanket! as my space to put the paragraph in (in my head it made it easier since it’s like having a blank white paper)
but that was WRONG !
Law pointed out the invisible lines i can you to arrange my other elements on them!
Mistakes : Don’t use the word itself as your space!
Law also pointed out the spaces i can use but not solely depend on for my elements
- finding an interesting composition yet as minimal as possible without copying another artist’s style.
- working with colors, i did not learn how i can really work with colors and use them to highlight a word or part of my sentence.
what worked best:
- the context of my sentence made it fun for me to work with this sentence, i was able to somehow figure out ways to let the reader pause then realize s/he is being scolded for “ignoring their mother”.
what did not work:
- I still don’t know how to have different compositions for different scales (A4, A3…etc) even after i print all i really see is change of type size.
the ( ! ) moment:-
When I noticed how the two words “Calm” and “Mother” sort of merge together and realized i actually have control on how the reader read things, without changing the word itself , but by simply playing with the compositions , kerning , and tracking i am basically controlling the reading speed of the viewer! (felt somewhat empowered).
What i learned:
- yes Type should be treated as shape most of the time, but sometimes when you it’s a short sentence you can dress the context of your text to make your design interesting.
- i need to experiment more in order to learn what i a cannot achieve (using colors)
- as a designer you don’t just have control over the visual reaction of the viewer, but also how they read your text!
- there is no bad composition (well there are boring ones yes yes wedding invitation) but some text compositions would work depending on where you position them and the space they’re used in. we can never say “a certain layout is BAD always” just like there is no perfect typeface (but yes Comic sans is bad ^^’).